Rising pressure on ecosystems, such as emergence of pests, demands agriculture to transform to meet growing food demand while using resources more efficiently. Indeed, pests, alongside other devastating threats, account for up to 40 percent of annual crop loss.
In advancing agriculture, the Pest Management Council of the Philippines (PMCP) and life sciences company Bayer recognize the power of collaboration with experts and stakeholders in solving the challenges confronting the sector, especially smallholder farmers. The PMCP-Bayer Sustainable Crop Science Award 2023 recognizes innovators and leaders in finding novel solutions on pest management to accelerate sustainable farming and help people and planet thrive.
Who can participate?
The Sustainable Crop Science Award is open to any individual, group, or organization from both private and public sectors who has demonstrated promising and novel concepts or clearly delivered proven solutions on pest management for protecting crops and improving farming practices, while advancing agricultural sustainability.
What are the requirements?
Entering the Sustainable Crop Science Award is free. Interested parties are requested to submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org until June 16, 2023:
1. 75-100-word introductory entry containing:
a.) name of entering individual, group, organization
b.) short profile of submitting individual, group, or organization
c.) short summary of the submission
d.) e-mail address/es and contact number/s.*
*Application details shall remain confidential and will only be used for documentation and processing purposes.
2. 700 – 900-word main entry, which should include but not limited to what the proven concept, solution, or project is including its implementation and impact. The submitting applicant should have accomplished either of the following within the scope of crop protection and pest management:
a. Undertaken research papers contributing to discovering sustainable and advanced pest management practices and solutions for crop protection;
b. Conducted a field trial or experiment resulting to milestone practices on sustainable pest management for protection of crops;
c. Spearheaded an initiative leading to advocacy, promotion, and adoption of sustainable pest management practices for better farming;
d. Contributed to enactment of key policies or guidelines (national or local) leading to improved crop protection and pest management.
e. Implemented a community or organizational program that led to efficient and sustainable pest management practices.
3. If any, include documentations and photos showing supporting evidence of the project accomplishments and proven impact to promote sustainable agriculture through effective pest management and crop protection. Accomplishments should have been completed within 2019-2022.
4. If any, letter/s of recommendation or endorsement form the nominee’s network/s.
The winner will be announced at the PMCP’s 55th Anniversary and Annual Scientific Conference in Davao.
What are the selection criteria?
1. Impact (40%): Shows measurable impact (either quantifiable or qualifiable) of the accomplishment in pest management leading to agricultural sustainability.
2. Replicability (40%): Potential of the accomplishment to be replicated or adopted widely to generate multiplier effect and benefit to farmers and agriculture stakeholders.
3. Longevity (20%): Potential of the accomplishment to deliver a sustained impact and positive outcome beyond assigned timeframe.
When will the winner be announced?
There will only be one (1) awardee who will receive PHP 50,000.00 and an award plaque.
The awardee may also have the chance to show the impact of its submission by replicating it in one of Bayer’s Learning Centers, which provide key stakeholders across the country with advanced information regarding sustainable farming practices.
What are the key dates to remember?
1. June 16, 2023 – deadline for submitting entries
2. May – June 2023 – evaluation and deliberation of entries
3. July 3 – 7, 2023 – announcement of winner at the 55th Anniversary and Annual Scientific Conference in Davao.
For more questions about PMCP-Bayer Sustainability Awards 2023, contact us.
Read more stories here:
In celebration of women’s month, Bayer CropScience, Inc. launched the newest GROW in Agri (Greater Role Of Women in Agriculture) video series, featuring women farmers in different regions in the country. “Proud Mother, Proud Farmer” highlights the role that women play both in the field and in their respective households.
Bayer CropScience, Inc. is one with the whole Bayer Philippines organization in celebrating its 60th year in the country. As a way of giving back to farmers and dealers, the company will host the Bayer @ 60 Anniversary Raffle Promo, giving out a whopping Php 6 Million worth of prizes— one the biggest raffle promo in BCS’ history.